Review: Kairos by Mary Calmes



Published December 15th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press
Page Count: 154
Genre: M/M, Romance
Source: Library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Sometimes the best day of your life is the one you never saw coming.

Joe Cohen has devoted the past two years of his life to one thing: the care and feeding of Kade Bosa. His partner in their PI business, roommate, and best friend, Kade is everything to Joe, even if their relationship falls short of what Joe desires most. But he won’t push. Kade has suffered a rough road, and Joe’s pretty sure he’s the only thing holding Kade together.

Estranged from his own family, Joe knows the value of desperately holding on to someone dear, but he never expected his present and past to collide just as Kade’s is doing the same. Now they’ve stumbled across evidence that could change their lives: the impact of Kade’s tragic past, their job partnership, and any future Joe might allow himself to wish for….


The first 75% of this book could have been a scene from early on in the Marshals Series. I love, love, love Miro and Ian, so I shouldn't have any complaints, but I wanted to read a new story with new characters. And Kairos just makes me really miss Miro and Ian. Sigh.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Kade and Joe. On one hand, the character type is so familiar to me. But on the other hand, I feel like I didn't get to know them very well at all. So you could say that I'm conflicted.

The secondary characters were all quite entertaining. I especially liked Declan. And Joe's ex, Evan, interested me. What are the chances of getting their stories?

There really was a lot going on in too short of a time period. I did enjoy the action and drama that Mary wrote here, but the characters and story were not fleshed out enough for me. I can't help but feel that this book could have been SO much more.

Overall, this book was not what I was expecting. It was too short and very familiar. So while I liked it well enough, I just didn't love it.

A few final thoughts:
Someone snickered in the 2nd paragraph. That was quick.
Peacoat mention at 19%, so that took a while to show up.
Please stop calling him Joe. His name is NOT Joe. It's Miro.

My Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.