Review: A Ghost of a Chance by Josh Lanyon



A Ghost of a Chance by Josh Lanyon
Publication Date: March 11th 2012
Page Count: 101
Published by: Just Joshin
Genre: M/M, Paranormal, Romance

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Over a century ago Illusionist David Berkeley committed suicide in his mansion by the sea, thus dooming his restless spirit to wander forever. Or so the local legend goes...

Professor Rhys Davies, a part-time parapsychologist, is writing a book on California hauntings and he believes the crumbling ruins of Berkeley House will make a terrific chapter -- if he can gain access to the house and grounds. The only obstacle is brooding cop and self-appointed caretaker, Sam Devlin. As obstacles go, Devlin is a big one.

But you know what they say. The bigger they are, the harder they fall...



Lanyon is able to write credible stories with likeable characters in just a few pages. This time around it's a geeky professor and a big, burly, hardened, and surprisingly homely, cop. Not your typical MCs, but I've come to expect it from this author. Both Rhys and Sam had qualities that I liked, and I actually enjoyed them together.

The mystery/ghost part of the story was really good. Good enough that I had to stop reading at 1 AM when I became a little too scared to continue. Yep, I'm afraid of things that go bump in the night, and I wasn't sure just how scary the book would actually be. So I waited until the following morning to finish, which I think I was better for me.

As with a lot of Lanyon's short stories, this is bare boned and to the point. The romance was natural, if a bit rushed, but left off with a promise of what could be. Overall, this was a very enjoyable read that was imaginative and well written.

My Rating: 4 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.